Why do other home improvement companies require a down payment?
Aside from the obvious, which is either a company cashing your check and never doing the work - or - delaying the project because they already have their profit in their pocket...many things are involved in a window project other than just the windows. First, the installers from any company will be literally tearing apart your home. To ensure that your project is done 100% accurately, you should consider many components that most homeowners never even think about.
Questions you should ask regarding the installation:
- If my windows need to be wood bucked, would there be an additional charge?
- Will you charge me for damages, such as sills, casing, etc.?
- Will you be moving my furniture before the installation, or am I responsible to do all the cumbersome work?
- Will you be removing or replacing my air conditioning units?
- Will you be providing me with new casing? New capping? New caulk?
- Is the caulk going to be silicone?
- Will you be removing or installing my awnings?
- Will you be insulating the walls around my windows and sealing around the corners?
- If you find rotted wood upon removing my old window, will you replace it?
- If I need a new header, will I be charged for that?
These are just a few things that will insulate you from ever being up charged for your project, or even worse, having an inferior installation.
Lastly, will the installers be picking up and hauling away all job related debris? What about vacuuming your home and washing your windows?
By not giving a down payment, you have the advantage of knowing that until the project is done 100% correctly, the company you are dealing with will not be paid. This is by far the most potent way of protecting yourself and making sure that your home or your new window project is done in a professional and seamless manner.
- Is there still an Energy Efficiency Tax Credit in 2011?
- What makes replacement windows energy efficient?
- Can replacement windows and doors be installed in the Winter?
- Are your windows giving you the cold shoulder?
- What are the replacement windows and doors benefits with the 12 Months Same as Cash program?
- How can new windows help you sell your home?
- Why do Window Bids Differ So Much?
- Why do other home improvement companies require a down payment?
- Replacement Windows; A Typical Interview
- Should I invest $200, $600 or $1500 in a new window?
- What's a good warranty on new windows?
- Do replacement windows really pay for themselves?
- Why Choose a Vinyl Replacement Window?
- Why should you replace your entry door when you replace your windows?
- What are the benefits of home replacement windows?
- How Important is the Window Installer?